Do you need CV 2016 tips?
If you want to get an interview then you need to ensure that you can impress the recruiter with your CV. Doing so however is not that easy when you consider that most recruiters will spend less than half a minute briefly skimming through what you have written. If your CV is not capable of making an immediate impact then you are not likely to be considered for an interview. This is why if you are looking to craft that all important CV that you should take great care to review the various CV 2016 tips that you will find.
The best CV 2016 tips
So what are the best tips for a good CV? The following are what we consider are the most important things you need to do when writing your cover letters 2016:
- You have to make an immediate impact and get the information that the recruiter is looking for very quickly, so the format you use for your CV is vital. Your format should be simple and clean so there are no distractions or difficulties for the reader and you need to use your formatting to ensure the attention is drawn immediately to the information that the recruiter needs to see:
- Use even margins of at least 1” all around
- Use a 12pt font that is simple and easy to read
- Use no decorations, images or graphics
- Do not use flowery scripts that are difficult to read
- Only use formatting where absolutely necessary, such as bold on section headings
- Never use all Caps for anything
- Be consistent with your formatting throughout
- Do not exceed 2 pages
- Use blank space to draw attention, a full clear line before each section will draw the reader’s eye directly to the start of each section – this is where you need to put the information that is most important to the reader
- Always tailor your CV to the job that you are applying to. Many applicants will use the exact same CV for every job that they apply to and this is not going to be the most effective way to get an interview. The better your CV actually reflects what the recruiter is looking for, the faster it is for them to find that information from your resume,thus you get the more chance to get the interview. Always revise your CV whether it fully matches what the recruiter wants to see so that they do not have to search through your CV looking for information that you may have omitted or buried beneath less relevant information.
- Show the recruiter what you have actually achieved within your previous jobs. Just listing the responsibilities that you held in your previous position will not help you to impress the recruiter. Responsibilities are usually obvious from the title of your job but they tell the reader nothing about your actual abilities to do the job. Always provide the recruiter with your achievements and quantify them as much as possible. Real numbers will certainly help you to get the attention of the recruiter.
These simple CV 2016 tips will help you to ensure that your CV is written in an impressive manner that will help you to get noticed.
A Checklist for an Outstanding CV for 2016
According to Louise Fletcher of Blueskyresumes.com with regards to HR managers:
“They spend large amounts of their time reading resumes and they have seen every trick in the book. This makes them extremely hard to impress. Trust me, if you think you’ve come up with a creative way to hide your career flaws from a recruiter, you’re wrong. They’ve seen it before and they can spot it a mile off.”
This statement does make resume writing even more difficult than before because not only are HR managers well versed in resumes, their standards of what a good resume should look like is definitely higher than you expect. How then will you be able to convince them that you are qualified for the job?
The good news is that there are ways in which you can create an outstanding resume that will convince recruiters that you have what it takes to do well in the job that they are offering. As a matter of fact, here are a few guidelines that you can use to make your resume impress the right people.
- Start researching. One of the best ways for you to make your resume stand out is to research about the job being offered. Compare it with similar job ads and see what similarities they have from the requirements to the kind of work that needs to be done. This will give you a much better picture on what companies are looking for when hiring new recruits.
- Always customize resume. After you study the job ads, the next thing to do is to customize the resume according to the job being offered. This way, it will be easier for you to make a good impression with the recruiter because you can deliver the information that they need immediately.
- Pay attention to format. The format of your resume plays a significant role on whether you will get noticed from the crowd which is why you need to carefully consider what style you are going to use. A good rule of thumb to follow is to base your decision on the job that you are after because a resume that is filled with graphics and colors will only confuse recruiters looking for office workers while a plain, formal resume will not pass a company that is in need of graphic designers.
- Show your skills. Skills are everything when applying for a job so don’t be shy about talking about what you can do. Your resume needs to have this section because this is where you get to set yourself apart from other applicants.
- Give details. When writing resumes, you need to share details as much as possible because they will help your readers understand your work better. Be descriptive as much as possible so they will know what you have done so far and how you have managed to help your previous employers as well.
- Utilize social media. If you want to give your resume more exposure, your best bet is to utilize social media such as LinkedIn, or blog sites where you can put your portfolio. This way, you can add links to your resume that will direct recruiters to your sites so they can see what you’ve done so far and whether you have the skills that they are looking for.
- Insert keywords. Don’t forget to add keywords or buzzwords in your resume as these will help make your resume more visible to potential customers. Make sure that you choose the right one for your niche so that recruiters and search engines will be able to find your resume with ease.
- Add personality. There is nothing wrong with adding personality to your resume as this will help you stand out from the rest of the applicants. However, you will need to keep in mind that your resume needs to be professional still so tone it down when you’re thinking of adding humor to your work.
- Review and revise. It’s important that you proofread your work so that you will be able to spot any mistakes in your draft. Revise them as soon as possible so you can submit a better resume to potential employers.
- Ask for feedback. If you want to know whether your resume is convincing to your readers, get feedback from others. This way, you will know what to change in your resume if you are not happy with the results.
If you want to get hired, you might want to consider these interview questions 2016.