Can the Functional Resume Format Help You?
Sometimes we can gain a lot of experience and skills that are transferable from one role to another such as interviewing skills. A traditional resume however may not highlight that you have those skills however as they may be buried within roles that are not necessarily related to the position that you are applying to now.
A functional resume format 2017 allows you to showcase your actual skills rather than just listing out the positions that you have held in chronological order. It is the best option if you don’t know how to make a professional resume and what to include. A functional resume is perfect for those of you that:
- Have frequently changed jobs
- Are looking to change direction with a new career
- Are coming back into work after a break
- Are new to the world of work
- Have significant gaps in their work history
- Just don’t quite fit what recruiters are looking for
How Does a Functional Resume Format 2017 Differ from a More Traditional Resume?
No matter what role you are working in you will probably have skills that could be transferred to another role such as management skills, recruitment, computer use and a host of other skills. So a functional resume 2016 will seek to show the recruiter that you have the specific necessary skills that they are looking for. It will do this instead of providing a reverse chronological listing of your positions and what you did within each, providing the reader with a list of the skills that you possess that are relevant to your application. The job listing will typically still be on your resume but will be at the end and will not contain the detail that it normally would.
How to Use Functional Resume Samples
A sample of functional resume format 2017 could be used by you as a template for your own personal resume or it could be used to provide you with the ideas that you need on how to write your resume. However never just copy a sample resume, it is not going to reflect your personal skills and it is also not going to be focused on the company you are applying to. A good resume needs to be carefully tailored to your application if you want to gain a good chance of being selected for an interview. Generic resumes rarely have the same success as tailored resumes as a tailored resume if matched carefully to what the recruiter is looking for.
In addition to this you also need to be sure that the samples that you look at will actually do what you want them to do. A good functional resume format just like any other resume format needs to look clean and be uncluttered. It must also be able to draw the reader’s eyes directly to the information that is going to interest them the most so that you will quickly be seen as matching their requirements. So carefully select your functional resume format in 2016-2017 to ensure that it is going to get you noticed.
Checklist for Building an Outstanding Resume
The functional resume suits those who are just starting out or have been moving from one job to the next because the focus of the reader is directed to the skills of the individual rather than their work history. The question now is whether the functional resume the best format for you to use?
Now that you have a format to use, the question you should ask yourself is how you’re going to make your CV stand out. Here are a few tips that can get you started.
- Understand the job opening. It’s important that you have a clear picture on what is expected of you when you are applying for a job because this can help you tailor your resume according to the needs of the company. What’s more, you will be able to address all the needs of the company in your paper which is a plus if you are aiming to stand out from the crowd.
- Identify your skills. For sure you have a pretty good arsenal of skills that you have acquired over the years but instead of writing them all down, choose those that are needed in the job that you are after. This way, you can put them in a prominent place in your CV so that your readers can easily find the information that they need.
- Discuss personal experiences. Of course, this needs to be related to the job that you are applying for so that your readers can develop an idea on how you tackle various problems that are thrown at you. However, choose experiences that can be related to the job that you are applying for.
- Keep it short. When writing a functional resume, keep the length of your resume to two pages only so that it will be easier for recruiters to go over the content of your resume to determine whether you are qualified for the work or not.
- Include employment history. Although the emphasis in a functional resume is on the skills of the applicant, you should still include your employment history as well so that recruiters can see what career path you are following.
- Remove redundant statements. The danger of writing a resume template 2016-2017 is that there is a tendency that you will repeat information in your paper. A functional resume can get rid of this for you which is another reason why you should consider this format.
- Tell facts only. As much as you would like to put your resume under the spotlight it doesn’t mean that you should go on and write stories that are not really true. You need to stick with the facts as much as possible.
- Prepare yourself. Although there is nothing wrong with using a functional resume, there are some recruiters and employers alike who will ask you few more questions before they consider your application.
- Edit your work. Don’t forget to proofread and edit your work before you submit your resume so that there won’t be any errors at all.
- Show confidence. It’s important that you show confidence in your skills. This way, your readers will get a positive feeling about your resume template 2016-2017 and your qualifications which can prompt them to invite you for an interview.
According to Nicole Fallon Taylor, assistant editor of Business News Daily:
“There are several advantages to listing your work experience by skill category rather than by employer. If you’ve been out of the workforce for a while, a functional resume will help you sell yourself based on the knowledge you have gained while you were working.”
With these tips in mind, it shouldn’t be impossible for you to create an impressive functional CV because you have all the relevant details you will need in mapping a resume that best suits your needs. It’s all a matter of identifying what information to use when creating your resume.