What is a modern resume format 2017? If you are applying for a new job in 2016, there are some factors to take in when writing your CV. For one, you should update your resume with the most recent entries and accomplishments you have had but not listed there. But to explain this further, check out the next section for what can make your resume 2016 look modern.
Latest Resume Updates 2016-2017
Remember that your resume is the first weapon you have to show your expertise and skills to the employer and the hiring manager. Therefore, you should be able to leave a good impression to the employer if you want to be noticed and be invited for an interview.
- Keep the information relevant. You don’t have to list all the experiences, for instance, in the 2016 CV. What you only have to include are the most significant ones that can help you leave a good impression.
- Don’t write an objective section. Experts suggest that including that in a resume can look like desperation on your part. Of course, you have your career goals, but the employer is more interested to knowing things you can bring to the table and not your future plans.
- Don’t waste space with the basics of job descriptions. Instead, you should highlight and emphasize on the skills, expertise or accomplishments you have had in your previous jobs. Or else, your CV might look mediocre and not catchy.
- Use buzzwords or keywords: This is one of the latest trends to apply in the updated best format for resume. Don’t forget using specific keywords that will help the employer learn more about you and things you can do with action words and industry terms specific to the application.
- Stick with one or two pages for your CV and not go beyond this length. Or else, you might not be able to keep the employer’s attention because you are not delivering what he is looking for from the beginning. Do not fall into the trap of coming up with a boring and long resume.
A Guide to Writing Your Modern Resume
Finding a new job won’t be easy because you will be facing some pretty tough competition out there that you are not really aware of. Most assume that they don’t need to put a lot of effort into making their resume because they believe that their grades and CV are enough to show their qualifications. Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons why many fail to get interviewed by potential employers because they didn’t put much effort into writing this part of their application. Some applicants who want to get a resume quick will probably use resume generators because they’re easy to use as is evidenced below:
Although there is nothing wrong with using resume generators, it is still much better to build your resume from scratch. You can take a look at online resume samples too if you want to get an idea on how to create a resume suited for the job on hand. Of course, it pays to have a guideline to follow if you want to stand out from the crowd. Here are some tips that you should take into account when writing your modern resume.
- Study the job ad. As a jobseeker, it is important that you pay attention to the job ad because it will give you an idea on what they are looking for in an applicant.
- Avoid clichés. Your resume should be free from clichés because this has already been done time and time again. Vague words won’t do you any good either because your readers won’t understand what you are trying to say.
- Get straight to the point. When writing your CV, make sure that you get straight to the point. HR managers won’t spare you any of their time when your resume doesn’t have any valuable content.
- Customize your resume. It’s important that you customize your CV sample 2017 according to the job that you are applying for as this will show HR managers that you studied their ad and the company. This shows genuine interest on the job being offered which is important if you want to stand out.
- Use social media. If you want to increase your chances of finding a good job, you should utilize your social media sites particularly LinkedIn if you want to build an online resume to be accessed by anyone.
- Integrate keywords. Regardless of whether you are creating a digital CV or in print, you should use keywords in your resume so that it will be easier to spot. Buzzwords can help your resume to stand out among the crowd which is what you need if you are trying to get an interview.
- Keep it short. Your resume shouldn’t span more than four pages because it might overwhelm your reader. At least two pages worth of CV is enough as long as it contains valuable information about your skills and experiences.
- Proofread your work. Don’t forget to review your CV after writing it to ensure that you have spotted all possible errors. Correct them immediately so you can submit a professionally done paper to potential clients.
- Show confidence. Your CV will serve as your marketing tool to attract potential employers. It’s important that you show confidence in your skills and experiences as these will be translated to your resume.
- Use a cover letter. According to Jill Harness of Lifehack.org:
“Cover letters are particularly important for employees who are new to the job market and light on past experience, as they provide you with an opportunity to make a case showing why you are qualified despite your formal experience.”
If you want to stand out from the crowd, it would be a good idea to attach a cover letter to your application.
With these tips in mind, building the best resume won’t be that difficult to do. As long as you put a lot of effort into writing your CV and that you stick with the facts, you’ll be able to pull off the best resume there is. There you have seven of the most important things to know about the update resume format for 2016.