You are asking, “What a resume should look like?” If you want to do a good job in your resume 2016, don’t fail to include all the pointers when it comes to formatting that we’re sharing here. If you’re ready, read on and learn.
What Does a Good Resume Look Like?
Full personal and contact details
- Email address
- Mobile number or phone number
This highlights a quick view of your value proposition e.g. “Experienced website content writer with over five years of experience in writing, editing and content managing for the web…”
List the most recent to the least recent jobs you have had but only the most relevant per job application. Don’t include all because you have to save space and keep the most important details on the top fold.
- School name, address
- Degree earned
- Year of graduation
Related trainings, certifications, affiliations and licenses (if applicable)
Key skills, related job skills
- Computer skills
- Accounting skills
- Adobe skills
- And others based on industry
Accomplishments, honors, awards and achievements
- Most significant achievements making you an ideal candidate for the job
- Include dates when applicable
What a Good Resume Looks Like?
- Include your accomplishments and do not focus on the job duties and description. Make use of precious space by highlighting your most significant achievements in the job to show your value proposition and avoid losing the chance to getting an interview invitation.
- Skip the objective part. This is an outdated aspect of a CV. Instead, write a career summary that will show off your best assets for the job, further highlighting your value proposition for the job, one aspect on what a good model of resume looks like.
- Use a logical format that shows your organization skills. Make use of a professional resume template, such as a two-column format that lists the headline and sub-headlines on the right and the content on the left.
- Avoid using fancy font and fancy paper. Use Arial, Calibri and Times New Roman and use an A4 white paper for your submission. Now if you are sending through email, save and attach your paper in PDF format.
There you have the tips on how to make resumes in 2016 that grab the attention of the reader.
A Checklist for the Best Resume
Building a killer resume is not that easy to do but it doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to produce one on your own. What you need is to learn what elements a good CV should have and from there, create a customized resume that will reflect your best attributes. According to Rockport Institute:
“Writing a great resume does not necessarily mean you should follow the rules that you hear through the grapevine. It does not have to be one page or follow a specific resume format. Every resume is a one-of-a-kind marketing communication. It should be appropriate to your situation and do exactly what you want it to do.”
For those who need some guidelines in shaping their CV, here are a few tips to consider:
- Know the job. As a job hunter, it is important that you know what is being asked of you so that you will be able to prepare your CV to address the company’s needs. If you want to stand out from the crowd, you need to be able to provide relevant details about you that fit the needs of the company.
- Use a cover letter. Cover letters can help prepare recruiters on what they can expect to see in your resume. This means that you will have to think of a way on how to make this part of your application stand out. It would help if you use catchphrases that will help convince your readers to peruse your application further.
- Choose an appropriate format. There are many ways in which you can format your resume but make sure that you choose one that works best for the job on hand. The format of your resume can make or break your chances of getting interviewed for the position so think about how you’re going to present your resume to recruiters.
- Talk about your strengths. What is it about you that should make recruiters consider you for the job? Think about your strengths that are relevant to the job and make sure that you focus on them in your resume. This way, you will be able to highlight your strongest points which can set you apart from other applicants.
- Customize your CV. As it was mentioned before, there is no one way of making a resume sample 2017. What’s important is that you tailor it to the company and job post that you are after because it will show them that you did your research regarding the work offered and that you are ready for the responsibilities that go with it.
- Spell check. Make sure that you check your CV for any spelling errors because even the slightest mistake can have a huge impact on your application.
- Use appropriate terminologies. A good indication that you are prepared for the job is to use appropriate wordings that are relevant to the work. Not only does this help you show your expertise but it will also help recruiters decide that you are worth interviewing too.
- Check your grammar. Another tip to consider when writing your resume is to check your grammar. This is important because you don’t want to end up with a resume that is riddled with errors. As much as possible, go over your resume as many times as possible until you are satisfied with the outcome.
- Avoid fluff. Your CV should be devoid of any fluff because you don’t want to waste space in your paper. Keep in mind that your resume should contain relevant information and nothing else.
- Show confidence. How you perceive your skills and experiences can help you create a CV that stands out. Don’t hesitate to show off your acquired talents over the years. After all, your resume is basically your calling card where you should convince your readers that you have what it takes to excel in this field.
Tailor your resume for every application and increase your chances to landing an interview today!
Images credit: resume003.tk, greatjob.myvnc.com, brazen.com, capgunshows.com, designercore.com, inancialsamurai.com