Importance of Cover Letters in 2018
When you are applying for a job you want to ensure that you use every possible way to get invited for an interview. Your cover letter 2018 is one of the most important parts of your application as many applicants fail to use it to its fullest.
It is your opportunity to tell the recruiter just how well you meet their specific requirements as well as showing that you have a real interest in the position and are not just sending your resume 2018 out to every likely looking job. In fact, many recruiters will not entertain a resume that is not accompanied by a cover letter as it indicates a lack of interest in the position. So it is vital that you learn how to write your cover letters 2018.
Our Tips for Writing Cover Letters
Writing an effective cover letter for your job application does not have to be difficult if you approach it logically and carefully. The purpose of your letter is not just to show your interest, it is also to clearly state and demonstrate that you are ideally qualified to do the job that you are applying to. The following guidance and tips will help you to write the very best cover letters 2018:
- Always tailor your letter to the job; never use a generic letter that could be sent to any job. A tailored letter that fully reflects what the recruiter is expecting to see will give you a much greater chance of being given an interview.
- Use a suitable cover letter template 2018: your cover letter needs to use a formal letter style and should be clean and easy to read. Use at least 1” margins and an easy to read 12pt font.
- Stick to a single page and do not decorate the page or use colored or perfumed paper .
- Address your letter to a named individual. A simple phone call will often be enough to get you the name of the person that is dealing with the recruitment.
- Identify the most important 3-5 things that the recruiter is looking for so that you can clearly show within your letter that you have those skills, qualifications or experiences.
- Never include anything negative within your letter: The recruiter does not want to hear that you are leaving your current job due to not getting on with your current boss or any other problems.
- Never discuss money in your covering letter or ask about any other benefits that you are expecting. The letter should purely focus on how you meet their requirements not the other way around.
- Do not just repeat information that is written in your resume, this is your chance to sell yourself not just an extension of your resume.
- Tell them that you will follow up your application and then actually do so. By following up you will not only show that you have a real interest in the position but you may also get your application moved to the top of the pile and an extra review.
- Proofread and proofread some more: Your covering letter must be completely free of errors if you are going to impress the recruiter fully.
So here you go some useful tips on how to write a resume 2018. Use our tips for writing your cover letters 2018 to ensure that you are going to have the best possible chance of getting an interview through your application.
Creating a cover letter for your application does help get the attention of potential employers not to mention speed up the reading process for your resume. According to Seth Porges of Forbes.com:
“At best, a cover letter can help a job-seeker stand out from the pack. At worst, it can make a promising candidate seem like an uncreative cut-and-paster.”
However, your cover letter is just one part of the application process. The other one is writing an effective resume that will market your skills, your achievements, as well as your experiences. Below is a checklist that you need to take into account when writing your resume. Here is a checklist that you can use when writing or rewriting your resume for application.
- How long is your resume? This depends mostly on your background as well as work history but most will range from 1 to 2 pages at least.
- Do you have facts to support your skills? Most applicants will simply list the skills that they have but not add any supporting facts about them. What they end up with is an inflated resume that lacks substance. You can avoid this by adding more information about the skills that you have such as how they were applied in real life situations.
- Are you using keywords? Keywords should be added to your resume especially when you’ll be submitting your paper in an online resume database. One reason behind this is that the keywords will be used by search engines when someone looks for a specific job or skills that you may have. Think about what keywords you’re going to use and whether they are appropriate for the job that you are applying for.
- Did you write about your goals? Adding your goals in your resume is appropriate because they will give your readers insight on what you are trying to achieve in your career.
- Are you using proper format? There are many ways for you to format your resume. See to it that the formatting and style are appropriate for the job that you are applying for.
- Did you include negative statements? There are times when your relationship with your previous boss won’t be that good or you had a bad experience in the company that you previously worked in but this doesn’t give you any excuse to badmouth your former boss in your resume. Check your resume if there are any negative statements there and remove them.
- Is your resume customized? Take a look at your resume and see if it is customized to the company that is offering a job post that you are interested in.
- Did you answer the needs of the employer? Your resume should contain solutions to the problems of the employer. For example, if they are looking for a wordsmith who is familiar with several writing styles, highlight your skills that fit their needs so that they will be seen immediately.
- Are there details in your resume that are not relevant? Keep in mind that all information placed in your resume should be relevant to the job available. Anything else should be removed.
- Have you edited your work? Did you proofread and edited your resume? Are there any errors that you have left out?
Writing your resume requires understanding of the needs of the employers so that you will be able to customize your application accordingly. The checklist provided can be used as a guide to determining whether you have covered all the important bases in your resume.